Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sleeping Off The Last Five Years

After returning to Fulda to drop off Kevin, I headed back up north to Belgium. There, I was welcomed by another friendly B9 poster. Maarten is a fast food and roller coaster enthusiast who lives on the outskirts of Hasselt. He showed me the ropes of Beligian quick cuisine. After visiting America, he was actually disappointed in the quality of fries because (foreign to my knowledge) fries were actually invented in Belgium. He let me in on the secret of their flavor: they are actually cooked in animal fat as opposed to vegetable oil. After making numerous trips to relish in their goodness, we headed to the gym to play some squash. He handed it to me on a silver platter as I fell far short of being able to compete with his nationally recognized racket skills.

While in Belgium, I also spent a day heading to a town called Brugge. It was there that I had a true touristic taste of Belgium as I downed some Belgian chocolate, Belgian waffles, and a glass of Belgian beer. Now, I am not so much of a proponent of drinking, but this stuff was pretty sweet. It was like drinking a Shirley Temple. The beer was brewed by monks as it came from fermented cherries. The coolest part is the color. It is red.

After Belgium, I headed back to Paris to meet with two friends from back home in California. Kevan and Ani have been traveling around Europe for 3 weeks, and actually head back home today (19 August). While in Paris, we made sure to pay homage to the sights from the Paris Commune being that it is one of the most significant historical events in Anarchist history. We were taken around the city by a group of vegan-straight edge kids that reside in Paris. We took some time to pose for a photo in front of the wall dedicated to those killed in the crushing of the rebellion, and I offered a small token of respect.

Finally, I took a trip of nine hours to venture back to the Basque Country, and I couldn´t be any happier than in this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment