Saturday, July 4, 2009

Vision on Fire

We left from Rennes planning to head directly down to Laussanne, Switzerland. It was meant to be a rather long journey, but we had no idea what we had in store for us instead. The train station ended up selling out the seats in all trains down to Switzerland for the day. That is at least what they told us, but I have a hard time believing that. We had no other choice but to stop off in Paris for the night and wait until the next afternoon to make it south.

We basically had no other choice. So that had to be fine. And it was! We arrived at around 8 in the evening without a place to stay. It was less than no time that we were able to find someone to take in a pair of vagrants. By 11pm, we were looking to spend some time checking out the famous city. That entailed us seeking to see Paris in 8 hours. And we did! We saw nearly everything: Eifel Tower, Moulin Rouge, Notre Dame. It was speedy, but efficient.

By the time we got to Switzerland the next day we were very spent. We had a total of about 26 hours of traveling before reaching the destination. After arriving in the station, we were looking on the brightside of things in knowing that we would have a cozy couch and some food ahead. However, I did a horrible job of writing down directions. We ended up getting to the street we needed to be, but I had no clue what the house number was. I simply wrote that it was a house covered in trees. Nino was pretty fed up with me and my whimsical antics.

I walked the neighborhood numerous times searching for the tree-house. No luck. I eventually entered into the nearby hospital to try to search for internet. All the nurses were rather bothered with me being there, but they were of some help. No internet though. On my way out, I somehow got locked in a hallway that required a keycard to exit. So harsh. The whole time I was thinking to myself how horrible of an idea it was to wizz in the fountain of youth. That was for sure going to be bad luck.

However, upon leaving the hospital, I got some crazy instinct to walk a bit south on the street. I found a house with some trees, and decided to go right in. To my surprise, I was right. Inside, I found my good friend and comrade from back home: Charlie. We met up at a place called CIRA to do some work for the Anarchy Archives that are based at Pitzer. The archive here is incredible. It is huge, and has everything imaginable. I am neck deep in pamphlets straight from Bakunin Press, CNT/FAI posters from the Spanish Civil War, and flags flown in numerous revolutions throughout the world.

The town is okay, but we have mainly been taking the time to sit around here and dive deep into some books as well as take a dip in the huge lake. We will leave tomorrow to go down to Italy. All three of us are going to make the journey. We have yet to find a place to stay, but we want to get to Rome to check out the action at the G8, as well as wander the city. We have even sent some messages out to priest residences asking them to take us in stating that "we ran away from our oppressive Jewish parents and we are seeking enlightenment in the good, honest Catholic faith". Hopefully this one reaches the Pope.

No comments:

Post a Comment