Monday, July 20, 2009

Like a Daydream or a Fever

I have now ventured further east from Kefallonia to the mainland of Greece. I took a boat in the early morning of Sunday to get into the port town of Patras. There, I was forced to wait a few hours for my bus up to Ioannina. I ended up running into three girls traveling through Greece. They were from Barcelona. When looking to kill some time, it's always pleasant to do it in the company of three crustee Catalanas. We sat in the park for a few hours where I played ukulele. Apparently we attracted the attention of some bagging-balkan children, and they came over and wouldn't leave us be. So the gals started dancing with them, and soon the majority of the plaza turned its attention in our direction to see what all the fuss was about. It was quite the scene.

After catching the bus north, I had to hitch-hike to the town of Zitsa. It is a small town on a mountain side. More of a village. Only about 700 people. Here, I met with an awesome dude named Kostas. He is the town baker, and he sure lives up to the reputation. The whole town loves him and it is awesome to see such a lively community in action. While here, I have been helping out in the bakery and the restaurant. I would like to do more, but I am not quite certified to go to such extremes. I do what I can though. Today, I rolled some vegan carrot cookies. They are made with carrot, wine, flower, and sunflower oil. Attention non-straight edge vegans, looks like you have a new snack!

Last night, there was a festival in the local monastery. There are many monasteries in the region. They are all very old, bold, and beautiful. The one in Zitsa is no exception. Lord Byron even stopped by for a visit and wrote a poem about it. We went to the monastery the night I arrived because there was a festival there to celebrate the local patron saint. I am beginning to love the church and to love all the saints. They keep giving the communities I visit reasons to feast. I'm thinking of converting just for all the fiestas.

Close to here, there is a beautiful valley that is home to a river called θεογεφιρo (translated as "God's Bridge"). Between the festivals and the beauty of the nature I'm even more seriously considering this whole religion thing these days. Anyways, it is quite magical. The whole region is very stunning. I have been wanting to go here for a while. It is solid evidence that Greece is far more than just ancient ruins and islands with topless beaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment