Thursday, July 30, 2009

Born in a Bottle Rocket

After dealing with nearly two weeks worth of nerve-wrecking anxiety, I finally received my passport to depart from Greece. I left from Athens to Berlin on a flight that got me into the capital city at about midnight. However, I had a train to catch the next morning at 5am. I figured that if I went to sleep, then I would most likely end up sleeping through the hour of my train out; especially because I have no alarm clock. So, instead, I decided to go check out the Berlin Wall. To me, it is one of the most symbolic ruins still in tact from the Cold War. I remember seeing news footage about the situation there when I was young. All of the clips are so full of emotion, so it was moving to walk its remains in the late hours of the night.

I got into Prague the next day. I like the city a lot, but it was almost too nice. The city is beautifully preserved, and everything is perfectly in tact, but I think that might be the problem. It almost seems as though it is Disneyland. My favorite aspect of the European city is the combination of urban life, tradition, and history. Prague seemed to lack the first two on the list.

The main reason I went to Czech Republic was to go to Fluff Fest. The fest was an extremely different experience in comparison to anything else I have ever endured throughout the youthful days of my punk rock spirits. The fest was similar to Warped Tour, but with bands like Trial, Ghostlimb, Fall of Efrafa, Zann, Have Heart, and Victims. The lineup was incredibly diverse which is something that is not so common in the states. A lot of bands just prefer to sound the same, and to play with bands that sound the same instead of diversifying tours and gig lineups. The weird thing, however, was the number of people at the fest. I never thought I would witness a day of seeing a band like Ghostlimb play on a gigantic stage to a crowd of a few thousand people. It was a bit bizarre. My two great finds were Mondo Gecko from Israel, and La Prosperite from France.

While at the fest, I hung out with the dudes in Ghostlimb and Graf Orlock. Great group of guys. It was refreshing to spend some time withe some faces from my native area, and to speak naturally in my native language. We spoke about putting together a live set and interview with Graf Orlock when I return to Claremont. Looking forward to it.

Two of the main reasons I went out to the fest were to see Trial and Have Heart. I have never seen Trial, although I love them dearly. It was fulfilling to see such a meaningful band that has been putting out positive music for such a long time. And they still remain passionate about it! I spoke with them about playing Claremont Commune Collective as well as interviewing at KSPC. Both seem probable. That should unfold well.

As for Have Heart, it was the last time I would get to see that band play. Although its been nearly 3 years since I was buckwild over their music, it was a very emotional experience to see them for the final time. Patrick Flynn still has just as much fire and energy as when the band first started, and he is just as sincere about all that he says. It has been a long way since they played Showcase in 2005 with a total attendance of 78 people. I never dreamed I would see this band playing in Eastern Europe to a a crowd of a few thousand. As always, Pat took he time to speak with me after the set. He seemed pleasantly surprised to see me so out of my element. As for me, it is always a pleasure to speak with him because he acts as such a great role model and class-act. He is still unphased by all of the popularity the band has gained. Just as used to request years ago, they finished the set with Watch Me Rise.

After spending he weekend in the Cinematent at Fluff Fest, I was fed up with ruffing it. I committed a sin the night I returned to Prague to wait out my train south. I purchased a one-night room at a hostel. It was nearly painful to pull the money out to do it. That was the first time this trip that a sleeping place was payed for. It will be the last.

I made my way farther south to Budapest after finally being able to clean up at the hotel. I made it into the city in the evening, and I talked my way into a free night of sleep on the couch of a hostel. They agreed being the fact that I was only there for one evening. In that evening, I walked around the eerie streets of the town. It is an awesome place. There are a lot of buildings that are pitch black. The streets are very dark and old. It is a place I would like to have spent more time, but I had to catch a train the next morning to Croatia.

No comments:

Post a Comment